- Overview for teachers
- The mechanism of PCR
- Continuing the cycle
- PCR and agriculture
- PCR practical
- Sample assessment (PDF)
- Case study 1 - foreign fish in our market
- Learning outcomes for students
- PD for teachers
- Teacher information
- Experiment 1 - performing a BLAST search (PDF)
- Experiment 2 - creating a phylogenetic tree (PDF)
- Laboratory activity - Oxidation of Fish Oil (PDF)
- Case study 2 - oyster bloom
Case study 2 - oyster bloom
This activity demonstrates experimental and theoretical science involved in the aquaculture of pacific oyster, Crassostrea gigas.
The oyster industry is the second largest aquaculture sector in South Australia valued at over $14 million.
Thermal shock will be used to demonstrate spawning of gametes into tank water. The gametes will then be collected and observed using a compound microscope.